What it means to be a group race:
- I designate several races each year as Run Tampa events. Usually 30 to 60 members participate; however, virtually all club members participate in Gasparilla race weekend, our biggest event of the year. This greatly magnifies the fun factor.
- We meet 20 to 30 minutes before the race for a group photo. Watch the Facebook invite and newsletter for details about location and time of the group photo. We usually do it at or near the starting line.
- Be sure to wear your Run Tampa shirt and cheer for your teammates.
- Selections are based on reputation, location, time of year, and many other factors.
- Races do not pay to become a group event, and cannot ask to become a group event; in fact, the race director usually has no idea their event was chosen.
- Some races tend to be a traditional group race for us, but others change from year to year to provide variety.
Nov 12 – Columbia St. Augustine 5k/10k/Half Marathon (Our 2017 destination race)
Run Tampa Group Races for 2018 (more will be added)
Jan 13, 14 – St. Pete Beach Classic 5k/10k
Feb 24, 25 – Gasparilla Races
May 27 – Boston Run to Remember Half Marathon and 5 mile (destination race)
These are for club members only. We plan one destination race each year. What does it mean for a race to be a designated Run Tampa destination race?
- A separate Facebook sub group to facilitate planning.
- Run Tampa group shake out run the day before the race
- Group photo before the race, as well as many other candid photos over the weekend.
- Post race celebration at a restaurant.
- Hotel: Everyone makes their own hotel plans; the Facebook sub group makes it easy for people to plan together.
- Travel: Everyone makes their own travel arrangements. Again, this is facilitated by the Facebook group.